Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Purpose of Mankind

Why am I here? What is my purpose? These are questions that go to the very foundation of our existence. As much as we may try to complicate things with our own emotions and reasoning, the Bible gives a pretty straightforward answer.

First, we were created for God, not for ourselves.
Proverbs 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself:

Second, we were created to please God, not ourselves.
Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

These two facts impact our priorities. If we are truly here for God and to please God then our own ambitions, plans, hopes, and dreams have to be subject to Him. If pleasing God is first priority, then there are some things that I am going to do differently, and some things that I am not going to do at all.

There is no need to wallow in introspection wondering, "What am I here for, and where do I fit in?" Notice that God did not come up in those questions? When our focus is "I" problems come along like the caboose to a freight train. Our Creator made us for Himself. Fulfillment in life comes when we strive to accomplish our purpose....pleasing Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.